Friday, August 10, 2012

Jerry Garcia-Almost Acoustic

Almost Acoustic
This release was recorded in November 1987 at the Wiltern in Los Angeles and the Warfield in San Francisco. The line up consisted of many of Jerry's longtime Bluegrass buddies like former New Riders David Nelson, Sandy Rothman with JGB mainstay John Kahn on bass and drummer David Kemper on snare with new friend Kenny Kosek on fiddle. The album features many favorites such as Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Deep Elem Blues, I've Been All Around This World, I'm Troubled and so on. Most of the songs feature Jerry singing the lead although David Nelson does get a couple in there. The recording was made by John Cutler on a two track DAT feed and the reissue has been upgraded to HDCD. aside from that, I don't notice any difference in the sound between the new version and my original 1988 pressing bought by my grandmother for my birthday. She ended up liking this one too! This CD has incredible sound quality, and provides new and old Deadheads with melodic tracks that are complimented both by Jerry's prime vocals, and guitar playing. It's a side of music that is sometimes shown through the Grateful Dead, but perfected when Jerry goes solo. Not only do I think this is one of Jerry Garcia's most enjoyable moments it is also one of my ultimate all-time favorite albums in the world! This music just makes you FEEL good and I am not complete without it!!Especially check out Deep Elem and Wind & Rain! -

No comments:

Post a Comment