Thursday, August 2, 2012

Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt- Western Wall

Western Wall, the Tucson Sessions
Being a longtime Linda Ronstadt fan, as well as a very devoted Emmylou Harris fan, I anxiously awaited this CD from the time I heard it was being done. When I heard of all the wonderful songwriters contributing to the CD, I was even more excited. Now, after four listens, I am ready to make a few comments but let me first say, I love the CD. The choice of songs is interesting and intelligent and I don't care if there's not a top-40 song on it. I like it and would guess other like-minded people will enjoy it as well. Unlike the recent Trio II CD where my favorite cuts were where Emmylou sang lead, there are several cuts where she sings harmony that I like just as well. Probably my favorite cut is RAISE THE DEAD where Emmylou's vocals are particularly strong. FOR A DANCER (written by Jackson Browne) is fabulous. I'm so glad to hear Linda's voice hasn't diminished in all these years and am also glad to see them recording a song of her old buddy Browne.

LOVING THE HIGHWAY MAN, the first cut on the CD, isn't my favorite but perhaps just because I have to turn down the volume about 20 second into the song! It was interesting to note Emmylou's ex-husband, Paul Kennerley on back-up vocals. And note he actually wrote HE WAS MINE, another great cut with lead vocals by Linda.

The title track, WESTERN WALL, a composition by the talented Rosanne Cash is very nicely done with Linda and Emmylou alternating on lead vocals.

1917 is an interesting song by a songwriter I'm not very familiar with, Paul Olney. I note he has also penned other songs covered by Emmylou and this is an interesting arrangement with a Spanish flair, even though the lyrics allude to a French theme. I would be interested in knowing the background of this hauntingly beautiful song.

SWEET SPOT initially was my least favorite cut off the CD, but even that's growing on me the more I listen. FALLING DOWN is another one I don't care much for -- more the arrangement and the background music overtaking the vocals. Much more likely to appeal to my teenagers than myself, I'm afraid.

Mr. and Mrs. Bruce Springsteen's songwriting skills add a depth to the CD with Patti's VALERIE and The Boss' ACROSS THE BORDER. Both are a welcome addition to the CD.

SISTERS OF MERCY shows the genuis of Leonard Cohen but I'm not that excited about the arrangement. Perhaps this will grow on me as well - I'd like it too.

Sinead O'Connor is an underestimated talent. Her songwriting skills are quite apparent in THIS IS TO MOTHER YOU. What a beautiful song. Another favorite.

ALL I LEFT BEHIND is one of the highlights of the CD. Written by Emmylou along with Kate and Anna McGarrigle with leads by Emmylou and harmony by Linda as wellas Kate and Anna, it reminds me of early Emmylou, and I couldn't be happier to hear something like this on the CD.

All in all, an outstanding CD ( did I ever have any doubt about this?).

No comments:

Post a Comment