Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Allman Brothers Band- Peakin at the Beacon

Peakin at the Beacon

Over the summer I read about the bootin' of Dickey out of the band. The reason stated was his playing was not up to par. According to one member, "just listen to the Beacon tapes." If that is so (and I read that in interviews with a couple band members other than Dickey) then why would you put something like this out if it isn't up to snuff? Perhaps they needed to fulfill a contract obligation or they needed more cash. Live ABB always seems to sell pretty good, eh?

I bring all this up for a reason. Upon listening to this, my first reaction was the music was OK. The sound isn't that great. They should have had Mr. Tom Dowd more involved with the process. He is a master behind their recorded sound and it shows here that his touch is badly needed. The song selection was kind of, eh. Live versions released before. It's not bad but after 3 new albums in the 90's, how about some obscure tracks from them.

My other peeve with the track selections, is 8 out of 10 songs are Gregg's. I'm going to say since Dickey is out of the picture, he had nothing to do with the song selection so they threw on as many Gregg songs as they could. Yes, his vocals are good, albeit somewhat muddied. But, that doesn't hilight much of the band, or I dare say, the brotherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment