Monday, August 20, 2012

Charlie Daniels Band- Simple Man

Simple Man
"Simple Man", is a good old Southern country rocking song from Charlie, as is the toe-tapping song "Oh Atlanta", where Charlie showcases some of his fine fiddle work. The bluesy concluding number "It's My Life" is also a strong song. Furthermore, Charlie is a strong ballad singer. "Was It 26", "Midnight Wind", "Saturday Night Down South", "Old Rock 'N Roller", and "Mr. DJ" are all great ballads by Charlie and his CDB bandmates. If there's a weak link on Simple Man, I think it's "Play Me Some Fiddle". "Play Me Some Fiddle" is an OK song, but I don't think it's as good as Charlie's other fiddle anthems--"Texas", "The South's Gonna Do It", "Ragin' Cajun" and the aforementioned "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". "Play Me Some Fiddle" is too long(almost five minutes) and the story line--a bar patron gets into a fight which the cops break up--has literally been done to death in other songs. Even "Oh Atlanta", this record's other fiddle tune, is better than "Play Me Some Fiddle", at least in my opinion. Still, I think Charlie put together one solid album in Simple Man. I like this record, and I think anybody who likes the Charlie Daniels Band should have Simple Man in his collection. Not as good as Charlie's southern rock cd's but still a great album. Simple Man(a classic) and Oh Atlanta are my favorite songs. A Few More Rednecks, Was it 26, Saturday Night down South, Old Rock N Roller, and Mr. DJ are also good songs. Play me some Fiddle was the weakest song on the album. It would normally be considered good, but it is not on Par with Charlie's other fiddle songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment