Monday, March 4, 2013

Don Felder-Airborne

Airborne
After reading about this album in Don's book, Heaven and Hell, I thought I would give it a listen. Don's own critique about this album is spot on. The album lacks punch, and a hit, but the overall feel is relaxed and the tunes have a way of growing on you. I'd say that this album is "good", but lacks anything "great" that will have you coming back over and over again. Buying this record won't break the bank so it is an easy way to end any curiosity you might have.

All in all it was nice to hear what Don was doing on his own while the Eagles toiled in their break-up period. Now that Don is permanently removed from the Eagles, perhaps he will get to writing and performing a new album with a more serious tone to it. I've seen Don performing live twice since he departed the Eagles and his live show is great, so I anxiously await his next venture.

In the meantime, this becomes a dust collector that I listen to occasionally, just to see if I missed something the first few dozen times I heard it. AIRBORNE, the only solo album by Eagles guitarist Don Felder, is great. The songs are instantly hummable, and the grooves rock like sort of a West Coast blend of War and Grand Funk Railroad. It should be noted that this album includes "Never Surrender", which was also on the soundtrack to the film FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, one of THE coolest teen flicks ever. This album is an all-time classic that just gets better with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment