Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Stephen Stills-Turning back the pages

Turning Back the pages
As a long time fan , I will say this for this package ...it is a good grouping . However , this was his era of injesting of substances to an extreme and his productivity and his creative muse were not up to par with the earlier material he came up with . The second Manassas disc is the beginning of his downfall .... you MUST be a fan to appreciate this disc . This is NOT the best of Stephen ...it's good ... not best .When playing 'Live', his fire was on and the record label saying/asking - "do this , it's trendy" button was turned off ...me I wish that the Live in Amsterdam Manassas show would be released , or a set of the 1974 CSN&Y live (I can go on with other ideas for material )this is just filler until Neil can say okay to releasing older stuff , and/or Stephen can put out a crackerjack blues disc of new material .
There are also lots of songs that are in demo or unfinished form from the 1970 to 1980 decade ...what about that ???
This is CBS trying to sell plastic , it is of little cost to make this .
I'll buy this ,(and my husband will thank me for it ) only because it contains the better (and that is being kind) material from 'Thoroughfare Gap'. It will round out the Stills collection for me .
Try Stills 1 (aka Love the One You're With ) , and the double Manassas for the real 'solo' Stephen Stills .

No comments:

Post a Comment