Saturday, May 26, 2012

Firefall -Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits
Having been a fan for many years, I welcomed this anthology with open arms. Like so many other country-pop-rock bands of the time (Orleans,  Marshall Tucker Band,), Firefall boasted savvy pop smarts, agile performers and casual-as-a-summer-breeze songs that occasionally boasted a little bit o'spunk. So, this set comes along and offers fans the chance to hear all the band's great songs in a single session. And they're all here: "Just Remember I Love You", "You're The Only Woman" and, of course, my all time fave, "Strange Way". But, imagine my disappointment at hearing the watered down, badly butchered U.S. 45 RPM edition of "Strange Way". The album cut was a keeper: a "Witchy Woman"-like hit with great string arrangements and a gorgeous flute solo towards the song's end. Sadly, that eye-opening cut isn't the one that appears here. And maybe you'll think I'm being too much of a sourpuss, but that omission is just inexusable if you're a fan...and I am. Someone at Rhino should really make an effort and fix that problem. When they do, I'll gladly give this set the five stars it so rightfully deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment