Saturday, May 19, 2012

Byrds- Notorius Byrd Brothers

Notorious Byrd Brothers

First off, Look at the cover of the album. David Crosby is missing. This is because the other band members got pissed off at Crosby because he played with rival Buffalo Springfield at a large concert (Monterey pop? Woodstock?, I don't know.)  So Crosby picture was replaced by the horse (Jack Ass, Get it???) on the right. From left to right is Hillman, McGuinn, Clark

This has always been my favorite Byrds album. Younger Than Yesterday may be more brilliant, at least it places, and Untitled may have more great tracks, but Notorious Byrd Brothers holds together better as an album. I'm surprised that none of the prior reviewers mentioned Trying to Get to You, which to my mind may be the best track on the album, with a terrific McGuinn vocal. The version of Goin' Back here--with the brief but memorable Kevin Kelly drum break right before the end--is definitive. Draft Morning, Old John Robertson, Wasn't Born to Follow, Natural Harmony--all terrific. I've been listening to this album for over 20 times and I haven't tired of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment