Monday, September 24, 2012

New Riders of the Purple Sage..Best of..

Best of..
Like many people I checked this group out knowing that Jerry Garcia and a few other Dead alumni played with this band in the early days. It pretty much sounded as I expected. Solid country rock. Kind of a cross between early Grateful Dead, Byrds and Gram Parsons. Nothing too deep, just light country rock with a bit of humor thrown in. Any fan of Flying Burrito Brothers or Buffalo Springfield might like this. There's no doubt the album cover sold a few extra copies. I framed my vinyl. Maybe they could have called this "The Breast Of" or "Greatest T*ts". Roots-music reverence helped this Grateful Dead offshoot become one of the West Coast's key country-rock groups; here's their 1976 "best-of" plus five rare bonus cuts! Their 1972 hit I Don't Need No Doctor joins I Don't Know You; Glendale Train; Hello Mary Lou; Panama Red; Henry; Groupie (live), and eight more!

No comments:

Post a Comment