Monday, September 17, 2012

Molly Hatchet -Molly Hatchets 1st

Molly Hatchet
Now, I own several Molly Hatchet albums, but this album is really the only one that I listen to on a somewhat regular basis. And if you happen to be like me, a casual fan, this self-titled debut is really the only album in their catalogue that I would consider essential. Sure, there are some that assert 'Flirtin' With Disaster' or 'Beatin' The Odds' is better, and tastes will naturally vary, but I honestly don't see how anyone could rationally come to that conclusion. Yes, 'Flirtin'' and 'Beatin'' are good, but in my opinion this is clearly MH's best, and it's their only album that is absolutely solid from top to bottom. It features Hlubek's best songwriting, lyrically and musically, and Danny Joe Brown's best vocals. It also contains a remake of 'Dreams I'll Never See', which is arguably their best song from any album, and certainly my favorite. Furthermore, although Farrar's vocals on 'Beatin'' are good, they're not even close to being as good as DJB's from this album.

One of my favorite southern rock albums of all time! People tried to say they were copying Skynyrd because of their three guitar attack but Blackfoot(another must have)had more of a Skynyrd sound in my opinion. That triple guitar work just wraps around you in Dreams I'll Never See. The whole album grabs you and drags you along for a great ride. Danny Joe Brown's vocals are a perfect fit, too bad he had to leave (due to health issues if I recall) after their second album (Flirtin' With Disaster). If you like Southern Rock, this album and Flirtin' definitely should be on your shelf. Another band you should check out is The Four Horsemen. They aren't Southern Fried, actually they're from above the border but the music has a definite southern edge and a bluesy feel to it. Nobody Said it was Easy and Gettin' Pretty Good at Barely Gettin' By are definitely worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment