Monday, March 5, 2012

Stephen Stills-Alone

Stephen Stills -Alone
I discovered this album almost by accident, I had heard "Treetop Flyer" and was intrigued enough to want to find out more about it. I was familiar with Stills' material from the CSNY days, but hadn't heard much of his work beyond that. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by this album.

"Stills Alone" is just that. Simply Stills on vocals and guitar. A collection of well written songs featuring Stills' skillful guitar work, along with a few covers.

That being said, the production is not perfect. And Stills's voice sounds strained on some of the higher notes on a couple tracks. But I think these slight imperfections actually give the album character, as if you were listing to a live performance.

Some purists may scoff at Stills' guitar tone on this album. It is unusual for an acoustic sound...but in my opinion it gives the album a unique, if sometimes even "eerie" sound.

My only complaint is that the album is pretty short.

My personal favorites are "The Right Girl", "Treetop Flyer", and the outstanding "Blind Fiddler Medley". But this is the sort of album that you feel compelled to listen to from start to finish every time you take it out.

Since this has been out of print for so long, they are expensive. It was alot to pay for a CD, but I wanted one that badly. I am very glad to add this rare gem to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment