Monday, March 12, 2012

Gram Parsons-Sleepless Nights

Flying Burrito Bros-Sleepless Nights

This is one of the first Gram Parsons Country Rock Albums that I heard, when I first discovered Country Rock. My first impression was this is just pure country and too Twangy for my tastes. As years gone by and I listened to other country rock, like Poco, New Riders, Gene Clark....etc. I learned to appreciate this CD.

I Don't understand why this collection has been overlooked to such an extent through the years. Because GP wasn't around to approve? The time-space between the 9 Burritos recordings and 3 GP/E.Harris recordings was only a couple of years. The result is that the tracks fuse with no difficulty. One aspect of this album is the perfect sequencing. Somebody put thought into that--for which we should be grateful. Otherwise, as others have said, the three GP-EH are breathtaking. (Opening, closing, and smack in the middle of the album) The Burritos tracks are solid, with better bass parts than the two previous Burritos albums. Serious country. Perhaps one reason that folks don't get more excited by this collection is the absence of a GP original song. No matter...it is what it is...top-shelf country with Gram's genius for singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment