Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Comes a time -Neil Young

Comes a Time
Don't get me wrong. I get a kick from hearing Neil rock, and appreciate "Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Like a Hurricane" as much as anyone. But for some reason, I always find myself coming back to this country/acoustic-flavored gem, and probably listen to it more than to any other of Young's numerous fine offerings. Maybe it's because I'm about the same age as he was when he recorded this, or maybe I'm just getting to appreciate the quieter side of life now that I have a young child. Either way, I find songs like "Going Back," "Comes A Time," and "Human Highway" just perfect. They bring me back to the late 70's, when I was a kid, even though I never heard these songs until I was an adult, and remind me of how simple and peaceful life seemed back then. Other standouts are "Look Out For My Love," "Already One" - which can bring tears to my eyes even though I've never been through a divorce - and Neil's terrific cover of "Four Strong Winds." This is Neil's best acoustic album, ahead of Harvest Moon and Harvest.

1 comment:

  1. This is a review of a friend of mine, as I am not Neils age, but about 15 years younger...

    ReplyDelete