Friday, February 1, 2013

Outlaws-Diablo Canyon

Diablo Canyon
I'm rarely blown away the first time I hear a CD... in fact, mostly I'm disappointed that the material isn't consistently top-shelf. But, occasionally, my faith in the purity of the music is rewarded. It happened with Travis Tritt's "Down the Road I Go", and lo and behold, it happened again with "Diablo Canyon". How in the world did it happen that it took me 10 years to find out this CD even EXISTED? That's a sad commentary on the big music labels, and another story entirely. Let's get to the main picture here... I could write this review in many different ways. I could say a) Diablo Canyon proves that Hughie Thomasson was the driving talent behind The Outlaws, or b) Diablo Canyon is the missing link between country/southern rock in the 70's/80's and the 21st century, or c) Simply, this CD kicks ass and is the logical progression of The Outlaws into the 21st century, or d) all previous answers are correct. I'll choose d). How rare is it that there are NO weak tracks on a CD? You have it here. Two (of 10) may be "different", but they are solid in their own right. My God! How could it be that there was no followup to this CD?!?!!?? What a damn shame!!!! Where would this music have evolved to in 2004? All I can say is... this CD has my HIGHEST recommendation. It's where Southern Rock should be, it's where Country should be, and it's where YOU should be by 2004 and beyond. If you're a Southern rock fan, a Country fan, an Outlaws fan, and you don't like Diablo Canyon...? Turn in your membership card, 'cause you must be below ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment