Thursday, November 29, 2012

ZZ Top -Mascelero

Mascelero
 I have to admit, they frustrated me with some of the material on Antenna and XXX. But Mescalero has a lot of harmonica and steel pedal guitar on it, getting back to a Texas Blues sound but mellower and slower than Rhythmeen. "Piece" has some pretty passages and a metal-sounding rhythm groove near the end. Billy Gibbons' Gretsch guitar sounds awesome on this whole recording, especially his leads. "Que Lastima" kind of grows on you. "What is it Kid" has a great bass line: go Dusty! "Tramp" takes an old blues progression and makes it sound positively innovative. I love that song;Billy alternates between his low-pitched speaking voice and a higher singing voice. The ending chord progression on Liquor is awesome, even though the song borrows the same fadeout technology the band used on "Loaded," it works. But don't change CD's just yet: the hidden track under #16 is really well done. I'm sure you'll know the song. All I can say is, you guys let me down for a long time, but this release is really good. I'm really happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment