Friday, November 16, 2012

Marshall Tucker Band-Face Down in the Blues

Face Down in the Blues
This band might have the name "The Marshall Tucker Band", and Doug Gray is certainly the singer, but rest assured, they're NOT the Marshall Tucker Band that most of is long time fans know and love. What do they lack? Toy Caldwell, Tommy Caldwell, Paul Riddle. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that Jerry Eubanks is on this disc either. In my opinion, without these guys they just don't have the same fire and jam-a-bility that the Tucker Boys of old had. It's true, this CD is better than some of their other "recent" releases. Call me old fashioned, but if I want to hear Tucker do the blues, I'll throw on my well worn Where We All Belong disc, or the newer release, Stompin' Room Only (Unreleased Live Recording).   The faces have changed, but the feeling you get from Marshall Tucker band is still there as evidenced from the standout cut "Like Good Music". Productions values are early ninety's clean sound with a hint of over production trying to capture the sound of the lost(dead) members. Overall, very reasonable effort with a couple of blue's numbers thrown in for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment