Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Riders of the Purple Sage- Panama Red

The Adventures of Panama Red
Firstly, I think people who don't like this album are probably thinking of NRPS as the dead's little sister, which frankly it is not. It has very little to do with the dead. It's psychedelic country rock.

It is also totally fantastic. There is not a song on the album that I don't like.

Here's a mini review of the songs-

"Panama Red"- Totally a classic. First time I heard it I was singing along by the end.

"It's All Right With Me"- Oo-Oo- yeeeaaah, to qoute it.

"Lonesome LA Cowboy"- The lines about smokin' dope, snortin' coke are great. Heck, the whole song is.

"(Ok Sam)Important exportin' man"- Very catchy. Greatest saxophone.

"One Too Many Stories"- Oh, woe. The only one I couldn't call my favorite. But it's still fine.

"Kick in the head"- Absolutely my favorite. The lyrics are bizarre and typicle Robert Hunter. (Funny the dead never preformed it)

"You Should Have Seen Me Runnin"- Lord. Buffy Sainte-Marie is the greatest back up ever. I don't know why there isn't more of her and less of Donna Jean. (???)

"Teardrops in My Eyes"- I can't help dancing when this plays. Happiest sad song ever.

"L.A Lady"-Really well done. Good singing, good music, good lyrics. What more could you ask for?

"Thank the Day"- Typical Torbert (It's about sailing). The lyrics "I couldn't keep from smiling" must apply to the listener.

"Cement, Clay and Glass"- Wait a sec. THIS is my favorite. Great anti urban sprawl song.

I have only one beef, and trust me it's not the song's fault. I guess when they put it onto cd they changed it a little, because at the end when he (David Nelson, I think. Don't qoute me) is singing "Cement, Clay and Glass" over and over you can hear Donna Jean Godchaux singing signifigantly louder than the he is. This isn't a problem on the record (I know because I have it), just the Cd.

Thats it for the songs, but I think I should mention one other thing that's unfortunate: the packaging for the Cd is not nearly as exciting as it was for the record. The fantastic Panama Red cartoon is rather squashed. Also, the sleave that had the lyrics and the picture of NRPS with the grungy dog is not reproduced anywhere.

Thats really all, and, frankly, I can deal with the two small drawbacks because the CD means I can listen to it in the car, lend it to my friends, whatever.

It's pretty hard to dislike the New Riders, so you should definitely give this Cd a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment